Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer Fun

There is nothing like your firstborn getting ready to start kindergarten to make you acutely aware of the shortness of summer.

I know some of y'all with kids at home who are normally at school are wondering what in the world I am talking about ... summer is loooooong. :)  I'm sure I'll be changing my tune in a year, but for now I feel like the day when my baby girl heads off to school without me is hurling toward me.

So this summer, we decided to be a little more intentional about making memories together.  It is awful to end up feeling like you've wasted precious time so I've been determined to make the most of these few months.  

Enter:  Summer Fun List.


 We sat around one of the days that Chad was still home {but not in a pain or medicine fog} and came up with these ideas together.  It shouldn't take you long to guess which ones Ava added to the list. {anything involving sugar!} Or be surprising that our first one checked off was to make smores . . . over the grill in the middle of blazing hot June!




I'm looking forward to getting the whole list checked off by August 21 when life gets turned upside down!

Since we're on the topic of summer fun, I thought I'd share a yummy recipe that is especially great for summer.

Hummus Veggie Wrap


whole wheat tortillas {I like the Whole Foods ones best}
hummus {I could eat Sabra Roasted Pine Nut hummus with a spoon!}
fresh lemon juice
tomato
cucumber
red onion
lettuce

{When I do something I like, I do it that way every time.  I'm weird like that.  So I'll give a step by step that is delicious and you can feel free to change it up!}

Spread hummus all over the tortilla.
Sprinkle lemon juice over the hummus.
Slice the tomato and put over half the tortilla.
Put sliced cucumber on top of tomatoes.
Sprinkle a little more lemon juice on cucumbers then add pepper on top.
Put sliced red onion on top.
Add romaine lettuce on top {not in the pic because you wouldn't see anything else!}.
Fold over and enjoy!

We love this wrap and seriously eat it for lunch at least 2 or 3 times a week.  It has no meat, but is super filling.  Chad even asks for it now!


 And just in case you needed a little more cuteness, here's a few more pics of my little loves . . .

 Ava and Grayson are actually playing together a lot more now. {translation:  Grayson will actually be still long enough to listen to what Ava wants him to do!}  They are getting creative together and it is such a joy to watch!  This is their "bunk bed" which kept them busy for 30 minutes. :)


Grayson is hilarious, especially now that he is talking and pretending.  This is him being a "mower."  The backpack is a blower and he uses the strap to pretend to blow the grass off the sidewalk.  He even makes the noise as he waves it back and forth.  And the hat is a necessity {you'll never see a landscaping guy without a hat on!}.  So cute!


Swinging and a picnic lunch at the Botanical Gardens




What are some of your favorite summer fun activities?

No comments:

Post a Comment